Public Relations = My Life

Public relations (PR) is not only my passion, but it is also my life. Now I have to preface this by saying that I did not always know that I wanted to go into PR, it sort of just happened. When I started college I was a Mathematics major with every intent on becoming a high school math teacher. But somewhere along the way I discovered that although teaching was wonderful, it was not the path that I wanted to continue on. To make a long story short I changed my major to Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations and have never looked back.

PR is a world that not many people understand. When trying to describe my job to friends and family, I always get puzzling looks or a million questions. People think that PR can be a glamorous job full of red carpets, lunches and meeting celebrities - that is the part of PR that people see – not in true reality how PR professionals spend there days! Don’t get me wrong PR does have its perks, but it is the intangibles that make my job and life so exciting. Getting huge placements for clients and seeing their businesses grow as a result, knowing that you just spent weeks putting together a smooth and successful event, or even meeting with your client to discuss their next big idea – these are things that make being a PR professional so exciting and worthwhile.

via Cohn Public Relations
Studies have shown that PR is one of the most stressful jobs – we are among doctors, active military members and firefighters. But the stress is what we make it. Yes there might be long days and days where you feel like you can’t do anything right, but it is the little successes at every turn that make all of your hard work turn into a reality. I wouldn’t trade my job or my career in public relations for anything!

Being a PR professional “newbie” (I graduated college in May 2013), I wanted to share some simple things that I have learned about being in this business and being successful.

  • Your reputation – personally and professionally – matters.
  • Representing clients and brands that you are passionate about is much easier than trying to fake enthusiasm for clients/brands you know nothing about.
  • ALWAYS ask questions – its how you learn.
  • Find one person (in the PR industry) that you can always go to and ask for advice.
  • Don’t forget to have a life – recharging is just as important for you as it is for your job.
  • NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK!

Do you have any tips or lessons that you have learned in your career? Share them with me on Twitter - @KindlyWithK or email me at kindlywithk@gmail.com.


“The things you are passionate about are not random, they are your calling.” – Fabienne Fredrickson

No comments:

Post a Comment