3 Tips for Writing an Effective Cover Letter

At some point in your career, you will have to write a cover letter to your future employer. I'm sharing my three tips that I have learned to help you make the most out of your first impression.

  1. Avoid awkward phrasing and attempts to be overly formal. Introductions like “With this statement, I declare my interest in the position you have advertised on your website” are clumsy and should be avoided. Start with a strong but simple opener, like “I'm excited to be writing to you to apply for the Assistant Account Executive position at Edelman.” Conversational is much better than stilted.
  2. Key your background and qualifications to the language of the job posting. If you're looking for a secret weapon when it comes to writing your cover letter, consider using some of the same words and phrases that the job posting you are responding to employs. Communication experts call this technique “mirroring,” and it's a great way to build rapport and increase the hiring manager's sense that you're just the right person for the job.
  3. Be confident. Sign the letter “I look forward to hearing from you” rather than “I hope to hear from you and that you think I am qualified for the role.” Assume you will hear from the company in your tone—otherwise they will sense your lack of confidence and question your qualifications.
What types of tips and tricks do you use when writing your cover letters?
"There is no substitute for hard work." - Thomas A. Edison

No comments:

Post a Comment