Being a Fan of Motorsports

Yesterday the motorsports community lost one of its own. Justin Wilson, age 37, succumbed to his injuries sustained at the IndyCar race in Pocono on Sunday. He left behind a wonderful wife and two young daughters who continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.


I am a fan of racing. Always have been and probably always will be. But days like yesterday leave me heartbroken and questioning my love for the sports. This is the second time in less than five years that I have had to process the death of an IndyCar driver and for me its personal. Because not only am I a fan, but I have friends who race professionally and I was fortunate enough to work in the motorsports industry for a short time.

October 16, 2011 is a day that I remember as if it was yesterday. My dad and I had drove out to Las Vegas to watch the IndyCar season finale and on our last day we were out at Las Vegas Motor Speedway ready to see who would be crowned champion of the series. It started out like a normal race day and we toured the garage, took pictures and just enjoyed the atmosphere. But that all changed in the matter of seconds. Dan Wheldon was killed that day in an accident on track. As I sat in the stands as it was announced that Dan had passed away, I was overcome with emotion. What was this sport that I loved so much? And how could it be so cruel to take the life of not only a driver, but Dan was also a husband and a father to two young boys? My heart broke for those two little boys who now had to grow up without their dad and his wife who lost the love of her life. But in the end, he went out doing what he loved to do.

That brings me back to today. My heart hurts for Justin's two young daughters who now will grow up without their dad in their life. And his wife who now has to live life without her husband. I was fortunate enough to have met Justin Wilson and his wife at a party that I had helped my company produce a couple years back. His kind, gentle nature was infectious and I couldn't say one bad thing about the man. That memory will now stay with me forever.

People forget that while watching racing is exhilarating, it is in fact a dangerous sport. And behind every driver is a family and friends that care deeply about him. Every time a driver straps into his car, he knows the risk he is taking. Tony Kanaan said it best last night on Twitter, "Why do we do this? Because we love it, don't want to be anywhere else but a race car. We will keep your legacy my friend. Racers race." They know the danger, but it is what they love. And as their friends and family, we support them and hold our breaths every race.

Although I didn't know Justin personally, I know that not only was he a great driver, but a great man. It goes to say something when your legacy is having other men hope their sons can become half the man that you were. It was in his nature to be caring and to always be helping others, which he even did in his death. Justin had pre-chosen to donate his organs and saved 6 lives yesterday. So while he may be gone, he will still remain in those 6 people whose lives he saved! To read more about Justin and what he meant to those that knew him visit here and here.


My thoughts continue to be with his wife, daughters, brother and all of his family. The family has requested that in lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Wilson Children’s Fund care of INDYCAR.

Wilson Children's Fund
C/O INDYCAR
4551 West 16th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46222

We will continue to be fans and we will continue to support the drivers knowing the danger they face. Its not only what they love, but what we love as well. RIP Justin Wilson...gone, but never forgotten.
"The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

No comments:

Post a Comment